William G. Pomeroy founded CXtec in 1978. Pomeroy first ran the business out of his home, originally dealing in used IBM System 370 mainframe options – features, channels and memory. The company conducted business at a lower cost over the phone. Its scope was nationwide. Soon the company also handled mainframe equipment, chillers, air handlers, raised flooring and underfloor bus and tag cables.
In 1980, the company created its CABLExpress® division to identify its growing business in IBM mainframe cables. By 1985, it provided IBM underfloor cabling to the majority of the Fortune 500 companies. In 1986, the company’s revenue first exceeded $1 million. The company decided to expand its mainframe cable business in 1987 to include network cable products.
By 1989, the company’s first networks catalog mailing brought a spike in sales. As its customer base grew, so did the company. In need of more space, the company expanded over the next few years into several larger facilities.
In 1992, the company was named an IBM Business Partner and its revenue first exceeded $10 million. In 1994, company employment first exceeded 100 people. By the mid-1990s, the company re-entered the used equipment business. It created the equal2new® brand in 1995 to distinguish its networking hardware and voice equipment. Consequently, the company moved into its 70,000-square-foot Technology Certification and Distribution Center (TCDC) and established a testing and certification process for equal2new equipment. The company launched its first corporate website in 1996 and moved into its 66,000-square-foot World Headquarters building in 1997.
In 2004, the company officially changed its name to CXtec, as a hybrid of CABLExpress Technologies, to help demonstrate its focus on networking and voice hardware, as well as cabling products.
In 2005, CXtec achieved an ISO 9001:2000-certified quality management system to ensure its certification procedures and standards are set to the highest standards via an approved and documented process. In 2006, the company unveiled its state-of-the-art Technology Exploration and Conference Center – a lab environment used to demonstrate hands-on interoperability and proof-of-concept testing to help facilitate a comprehensive understanding of all generations of technology.
To back hardware offerings, the company created its third-party maintenance program, RapidCare®, in 2009. Furthering its quality management processes, CXtec also achieved ISO 9001:2008 certification in 2009.
In 2010, the company's equal2new brand celebrated its 15th anniversary. Then in 2013, CXtec opened a sales office in Rochester, NY and was named one of Central New York’s Best Places to Work by the CNY Business Journal.
In 2014, CXtec received the CNY BEST Learning and Performance Organization Emerald Award from the Central New York Chapter of the American Society for Training & Development for its Leadership Exploration And Development Program (LEAD).
In 2015, CXtec was recognized as a Fit-Friendly Worksite by the American Heart Association for helping employees understand the significance of health and wellness. 2015 also marked the 20th anniversary of equal2new, making it the most tenured brand of refurbished equipment in the industry.
In 2016, a majority interest of CXtec was acquired by an affiliate of H.I.G. Capital, providing an opportunity for growth and expansion. Founder William G. Pomeroy retired but continues to serve on the board of directors and retain a minority ownership interest in the company.
- 1978: Reliance Used Computer Corporation founded
- 1981: CABLExpress, a division of Reliance, launched
- 1985: Provided IBM underfloor cabling to most Fortune 500 companies
- 1986: Revenue first exceeds $1 million
- 1987: Expanded mainframe cable business to include network cable products
- 1989: First networks catalog mailing brings a spike in sales
- 1992: Named IBM Business Partner, revenue exceeds $10 million
- 1993: Re-entered used equipment business
- 1994: Employment exceeds 100 people
- 1995: Launch of equal2new brand and Technology Certification and Distribution Center (TCDC) opened
- 1996: First corporate website launched
- 1997: Moved into World Headquarters in North Syracuse, NY
- 2001: First named to CRN’s Solution Provider 500 List (on the list every year since)
- 2004: Changed name to CXtec
- 2005: Achieved ISO 9001:2000 certification, revenue exceeds $100 million
- 2006: Unveiled state-of-the-art Technology Exploration and Conference Center
- 2007: Named among the 50 Best Small & Medium Companies to Work for in America for the fourth year in a row
- 2008: Celebrated 30 years in business
- 2009: Launched RapidCare and achieved ISO 9001:2008 certification
- 2010: 15th anniversary of equal2new
- 2013: Opened sales office in Rochester, NY
- 2013: Named one of CNY's Best Places to Work
- 2015: 20th anniversary of equal2new
- 2016: Majority interest of CXtec acquired by H.I.G. Capital