By Dave Brenon, Senior Product Manager
When considering adding switches to your edge, many people often assume stackables are the only way to go. However, there is another option - a chassis solution.
We take the time every day to help recommend what may be best for anyone's unique network.
In the Cisco world, you may be considering a member from the 3750 or 3850 family, but don’t forget the 6509E chassis is always an option.
- White Paper: Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Smart Buyer's Guide
The 6509E chassis is a TANK. It’s the KING of reliability. It’s the CADILLAC of features and functionality!
The VS-S720 supervisor engine has 10 gig uplink ports, and Virtual Switching System (VSS). This allows you to join two of these chassis together for the best available redundancy features.
Not to mention, the entire other generation of Sup engine (i.e., the Sup 2T) and port blades (6900) double the throughput from 40 Gbps to 80 Gbps per slot!
You can use this as a core or an edge solution, plus there’s plenty of room to expand. What to do with the extra space? Add a second supervisor for redundancy or possibly more port blades—you have many options.
Cisco considers this chassis, and their customers that own them, so important that they designed the next generation chassis system (i.e., the 6807) to be partially compatible with the 6500 family. Luckily for you, you don’t have to totally ditch this when it’s upgrade time!
- The most popular chassis system in the world
- 20x the deployment of the nearest competitor – over 800,000 systems sold
- Incredible flexibility
- Great availability – if it’s not in stock we can get it in short order
For further help, reach out to our handy-dandy CXtec team and ask for an engineer to spec out a 6509 solution. And check out all of our related content on the subject below!
- Video: 10 Gig in the Cisco 6500 Series
- Video: Chassis vs. Stacked Switch Solution
- Article: Powerful and Versatile and Dependable – Oh My!
- Article: A Love Letter Honoring the Cisco Catalyst 6509-E
- Article: 5 Key Benefits Of Using Cisco 6500 Series Switches
- Article: 5 factors to consider when deciding between the Cisco Catalyst 6500 and 6800 Series
- Article: Should You Buy the Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Chassis Switch?
- Article: What Size Should an Organization Be To Use a Cisco 6500 Switch?